POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Video Compression : Re: Video Compression Server Time
6 Aug 2024 04:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Video Compression
From: Jan Walzer
Date: 24 May 2002 05:12:45
Message: <3cee040d$1@news.povray.org>
"Warp" <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   Sampling to raw avi at 320x240 25fps the 2 gigabyte limit (of a single
> file) is reached in about 5 minutes (supposing that your HD is fast enough
> to write such amount of data in such short time).

<mode flamewar=start>
What ? ... Probably your OS is a bit obsolete
2 gibibyte[1] filelimit is (with an apropriate filesystem, of course) neither a
limit under any commercial UNIX, nor under Linux, nor under w2000/XP.

Yes, I was surprised myself, whe I found out, that W2k+NTFS5 had no problems
when creating files greater than 4 gibibyte. Neither they had any problems
accessing a file on the network on a linux system (2.4.18+ReiserFS) over SMB.

So probably this senseless limit of a 32Bit FS is concerned to the obsolete
OS and vFAT ...

At least, if you have a machine, to grab (nearly) PAL in realtime, you should
be able to run any NT-Based Win on this hardware (if you want to with windows)

</mode>

[1] http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/binary.html
    http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Byte.html
    http://nvl.nist.gov/pub/nistpubs/jres/104/2/j42nbr.pdf